onsdag 2 november 2011

Swedish Sixties Sounds Part Two: "14"

"14"-"Umbrella/Drizzle

Ok, first off I would like to say I'm sorry that I haven't been able to post anything in the latest days. I was planning to post a lot, but then I had to work a lot so I didn't get any time to post. I'll stretch it out anyway, the "Swedish special" will go on for eight more posts.

Here we have "14" (yes, it is supposed to be spelled with quotes) with their second and last UK 45, "Umbrella/Drizzle" (Olga OLE 006). "14" came from Finspång and released impressive eight singles and one LP on the Olga label, (run by local hitmakers The Hep Stars), something very unusual for a fairly unsuccessful Swedish pop group in the 60's.


"Umbrella" is a jolly piece of baroque psych with great lyrics. The harpsichord that we hear in about the middle of the song really drives it home. My favourite is the flip, though. "Drizzle" also features the harpsichord, albeit a little bit more of it which is not a bad thing at all. A bad thing is, though, that they only included phasing on the demo copies of the 45. 

"Umbrella": 

"Drizzle":

2 kommentarer:

  1. Their LP "14 In A Bunch" is quite good as well! I found it available on a download from a less than official blogsite!

    SvaraRadera
  2. Ought to check it out. Blogger started to fuck up after this post; it said my login was invalid each time I tried to log in until now, when it finally worked... should post regularly now if Blogger agrees.

    SvaraRadera